Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Life Lessons from a Toddler



*Silly Mummy Moment*

Getting a little bit emotional about Lyla learning to walk. Not because it means she's growing up (which, by the way, is happening way to fast), and not because parenting is involve a lot more chasing; but because of what I'm learning from her. 

Toddlers have so many traits we all aspire to as adults. Motivation, courage, perseverance; no matter how many times that child has fallen down she will get right back up again. 

Failure is not part of her vocabulary (admittedly that stretches to about 5 words at the moment!). She wants to walk, and she is going to keep on trying until she does.
Same with using a spoon. I spend an inordinate amount of time scrubbing weetabix (which is a motherf-er to clean) off her face; my face; the floor; the wall; the window... but the lack of food going into her mouth doesn't even deter her from trying. 

I was at an up styling class yesterday and I couldn't get the hang of one of the styles. (A vintage wave

After about half an hour of trying I was ready to give the mannequin a crewcut. I took out my phone and started scrolling through Instagram, I looked at my latest picture, the one above with Lyla walking holding my hand, and got a bit of a reality check. 


I am the worst for letting failure get to me. I have an awful habit of giving up when I find something too difficult and have thought to myself, on many occasions, that I hope Lyla isn't a quitter. Failure, or fear of failure has held me back from doing so many things I could have been great at. It is something I am acutely aware of, and have been proactively trying to fix. This quote is repeated in my head on a daily basis.

                                                                                                                                           Image via Lucy & Lola Creations

Anyway, I put my phone away and tried the style again. And again. And again and again and again, until I created something that vaguely resembles the wave. (Here it is) It was far from perfect, but I was happy enough to have overcome my difficulties and gotten the technique down. Now its about practicing that technique to perfect it. I'm not there yet, but I will get it.

And I have to thank my 15 month old for teaching me this important lesson.





This is the theme tune to this post...if you ignore Aaliyah's dating advice (and diamante choker) and just listen to the chorus. Anyway, tune. 


SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Ah this is a lovely post and so true! Beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for persevering! Lyla would be very proud. My little boy has definitely taught me a few lessons - patience being one of them.

    Love your photos too.

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, patience is probably the biggest lesson so far!

      Delete
  3. It's so bizarre. We teach them to eat and share and pee in the potty but in the end I think they teach us more than we teach them. Great post. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, in the funniest of ways, we stand to learn so much from the little ones of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a very thought provoking post.
    It certainly is very humbling when you think about how they have to struggle interminably to do even the simplest of things such as get their hand to their mouth, or even sit up.
    I know I am constantly amazed by their powers of persistence, and, like you, I remind myself of it when I am being a wuss, but I think also that sometimes we could do with reminding ourselves to be a little bit more patient with them as the take ages to do something that is slowing us down. In allowing them time to practise something for themselves, we are allowing them the chance to develop persistence and courage.
    P.s I liked the wave, very elegant , well done :-) x
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I try to step back and be encouraging rather than doing something for her that I know she wants to do herself!

      Thanks, fingers crossed no one ever asks me to do one on them. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. It's amazing the lessons we learn from watching our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely blog post, Emma. The pictures are great too. �� x

    ReplyDelete

© Lyla & Co.. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig