Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hard Work.

So I'm in my new job over a week now (I've just started a hairdressing apprenticeship), and boy is it tough. Both mentally and physically. I'm basically a glorified cleaner. I spend my days sweeping the floor, folding towels, making tea and shampooing hair. I start before 9, finish after 6, and usually only get one 10/15 minute break. My legs hurt, my back hurts but most of all my ego kind of hurts. I've worked so hard in my life, with school exams, putting myself through college, getting a first with my degree, working my way up in jobs and now when I'm just about to turn 25 (birthday this weekend!) I'm at the very bottom (again) and its tiring. Every morning when I'm getting up I have to remind myself of why I'm working so hard for so little money and why I'm doing mind numbing work when I'm capable of so much more. I want to be a hairdresser. I want a creative career and the chance to work for myself. It'll all be worth it in the end...It'll all be worth it in the end..It'll all be worth it in the end...keep repeating that every time I want to sit on the ground and cry.

I've also started doing the lotto. I don't need millions, just 10 and a half grand so I can go to hairdressing school instead of doing an apprenticeship. :P Wish me luck.

Maybe another 100euro on top of that to replace the two tops and dress I've managed to destroy with hair dye. :( I'm going to pennys tomorrow and buying a load of plain black cheap vest tops that I can ruin till my hearts content!

Here's some pictures of me wearing nice clothes that I haven't (yet) ruined.


And a bit of motivation


 xx



SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Gosh - I am in the same situation as you - just turned 25 and starting a new career right from the bottom. Its super hard - completely understand where you are coming from! Just have to stay positive! Life is about enjoying every day and doing exactly what you want to do!

    You look gorgeous btw! LOVE the outfit! the shoes are super cute!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for following your dream! Good luck on the lotto too lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, You look gorgeous and stylish. I like your bun so much with that cute bow.

    xoxo Ra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just be aware - some salons will try and mug you off. I know someone who worked for about 2/3 years in the same salon and wasn't really trained properly at all (she learnt really basic stuff) I'm sure your salon is more professional but don't be afraid to say "I want to learn these skills"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog...nice to find a fellow Irish style/lifestyle blogger :) And congrats on making the career change...I'm going back to college in a few weeks to do the same and it's as terrifying as it is exciting. Also, very jealous you have a boyfriend with an Urban Outfitters staff discount :)

    www.theheadlessmannequin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!
    love your hair colour too
    much love wonderingwolves.blogspot.com
    xoxox
    have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you've acheived so much already, a first is amazing! Ah your new job sounds really tough, I have a lot of hairdresser friends and you're not alone in being worked to the bone for virtually nothing. BUT when you're qualified you can work where ever/open up your own salon and work on your own terms which will be so rewarding (+profitable)! I bet you do brilliantxx

    ReplyDelete

© Lyla & Co.. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig